Facebook, Social Media Impairs Real-Life Communication

Facebook and social networking are bubbles. They occupy a lot of time and airspace for a significant number of people. A spectrum of users interact instantly and globally. We don't yet know what all the impacts will be. From my own experiences, I see that digital interaction impairs face-to-face communication. Here's how. Distorted reality. We talk about having Facebook "friends" but that's a misnomer. Unless I know them in real life, for me, they aren't real. It's the easiest thing in the world to set up a fake profile. Kids can do it and I've known several who have. Unfortunately, adults do too. We go by aliases. We change names and pictures. We hide behind tiny thumbnail avatars. Our profile information is only as true as we choose to make it. I'm not saying people I know only online aren't real. They're just not real for me, nor am I real to them.  Facebook, Social Media Impairs Real-Life Communication

Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews

Infolinks 2012